Prometheus is a an open source monitoring and alerting toolkit. Originally built by a couple of Soundcloud engineers to modernize monitoring.The core of Prometheus is a data model with time series data identified by metric name and key/value pairs and stored in a time series database.
Prometheus also includes:
- a flexible query language to leverage this dimensionality
- no reliance on distributed storage; single server nodes are autonomous
- time series collection happens via a pull model over HTTP
- pushing time series is supported via an intermediary gateway
- targets are discovered via service discovery or static configuration
- multiple modes of graphing and dashboarding
We are using a fairly simple setup with all prometheus components running in docker containers. Since Prometheus relies on pulling metrics via HTTP the data gathering and conversion to the correct metric format has to be done by components outside of Prometheus. We use currently use different projects to gather data, but writing your own applications is very easy considering the extensive amount of language support that the Prometheus project has to offer.
[root@prometheus ~]# docker ps CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES 7e22a6c7bbc4 vmware_exporter "/opt/vmware_exporte…" 8 days ago Up 8 days 0.0.0.0:9272->9272/tcp vmware_exporter 67c5bfbaa81b blackbox_exporter "/bin/blackbox_expor…" 9 days ago Up 8 days 0.0.0.0:9115->9115/tcp blackbox_exporter c77043cc77fe grafana/grafana "/run.sh" 9 days ago Up 8 days 0.0.0.0:80->3000/tcp grafana 463e5b3663c7 prom/prometheus "/bin/prometheus --c…" 2 weeks ago Up 8 days 0.0.0.0:9090->9090/tcp prometheus 809f4ab916c9 prom/node-exporter "/bin/node_exporter" 2 weeks ago Up 8 days 0.0.0.0:9100->9100/tcp node_exporter